Hey VR lovers and developers !
Since Android devices very often have everything on board for a basic Virtual Reality rendering device I thought about a combination of Unreal/Android and Google Cardboard several weeks ago. I do not know why Epic sets the focus on the GearVR. In my opinion a general Android has a bigger benefit for every user.
I had a look into the engine and I implemented a small plugin for Unreal to use it with the Google Cardboard. I had to make some minor changes to the Engine to make use of the hardware sensor fusion provided by Android.
The implementation currently provides
- stereo rendering on Android 5
- rendering in device-specific full-screen resolution
- lens distortion correction / image warping, optimized for Google Cardboard
- head rotation application
- hardware-based drift-free sensor fusion
- menu for IPD and distortion settings
On the ToDo list there are
- hands-free menu navigation and parameter adjustment (if necessary)
- applications !!
- connection for input devices (mocap sensors, gamepad, etc.)
The current state of the project is just a working prototype (C++ Code and some Blueprints). It needs more testing and a VR-friendly user interface (currently I use a keyboard via WiFi to enable parameter tweaking). If anybody is interested in the project or if somebody is willing in working with me on the project, just send me a message. For any ideas concerning improvements/ToDo’s, feel free to leave a comment.
Feel free to have a look at my demo video and the demo applications !
Continue reading on next page covering the demo applications.